Saturday, February 26, 2011

Project Cartier Bresson - embroidery


I knew this design was somewhere in my archives and while I was looking for something else in my files, I was thrilled to discover that I still had this. The design is one of two that was given to me by a client who no longer embroiders but whose culture, she is French, and heritage equipped her with a vast knowledge of embroidery art and a sensitivity to the work I was doing in my studio for all those years in Quebec. Geneviève was and continues to be a faithful supporter of my work.

She had the generosity to give me a part of her wedding trousseau, embroidered bed linens on that rich, thick, écru-coloured linen that gives me a nostalgic feeling of times past. In this treasured gift were also books from her youth relating to the needle arts and the stamped project, partially worked, of a pattern from the hous
e of Cartier Bresson, the ancestors of the famed photographer, Henri Cartier-Bresson. Thiriez & Cartier-Bresson were purveyors of great threads and embroidery projects for the French market of the time (1833-1984).

I have embroidered many doilies with the first design, shown here in the original form that I received the design, but now that I have found this second design, above, I have already prepared some natural coloured linen for
embroideri
ng. I think I'll work with some blue DMC Floche or even pink... not very traditional, giving the project a contemporary air which is pleasing not just for the time I am working but also the final effect.

I invite any follower of my blog to order the project, or copy the design and transfer it to a piece of linen and work the project herself.

There a two ways of translating it: either with buttonhole stitch for the edges and satin stitch for the detail; or, buttonhole stitch for the borders and 'broderie anglaise' for the detail. I plan to use the latter technique for my project, even tonight, and I'll post a photo of my work for all to see. What is really important is to choose fine linen for the fabric and Fil Floche for the thread, the traditional thread for this type of work.

I'll take a photo of this design, just above, embroidered in various different colours, tomorrow and show you.

Stay posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment