Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Anenome Hupehensis - transformation to silk - progress (1)

 We are leaving again for a  two week holiday so the last weeks have been devoted to tidying up the garden, cutting back the remaining flowers and shrubs, transplanting hostas and astilbes into the new garden.


The anenome is still in flower, wafting in the wind each day.  It is dying back too, but I managed to capture one of the last fresh flowers of the bunch, a perky little thing growing very close to the ground.  I had people in for dinner on Sunday evening, and plucked it for my centre piece.  It seemed a little heartless to take it from its earthy base, but it added a little asiatic touch to the table, (we were serving a Thai curry as the main course, so it seemed appropriate) and was even the subject of conversation for a while.


 But on the quiet evenings, as the sun goes down and I sit quietly, I have been able to continue the silk work.  The first full flower has come out nicely.  Adding the touch of spring green brought an interesting contrast to the piece and all in all I am happy with the results


And then yesterday evening, I began putting in the myriad French knots of yellow to represent the stamens.  I have been working with a combination of the Pearsall's and Piper's silks for the petals, starting with the thicker thread and finishing the contours of each petal with the two ply Piper's.   There is a perfect marriage of colours with the two types of silk.  The French knots are done with the 3 shades of Piper's.


Unfortunately, I will not be able to take this project with me to Europe.  It's just too detailed to work away from the studio.  So my good ol' friend, William Morris, and another bird pillow design will accompany me.    



No comments:

Post a Comment