Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Mudjar Rug - progress


I began this project very quickly after finishing the Berlin Rug Fragment.  I was drawn by the unusually modern colour palette despite the age of the original piece which dates back to the beginning of the 19 th century, and the distinctive design of the prayer arches.

I work on it regularly although I have three or four other projects on the go simultaneously right now.  Since the threads I am using are the Pearsall's silks, it is a joy after working with a finer flat silk on a complicated needlepainting project to sit with this piece.  As with most cross stitch works, it is restful to follow a pattern rather than analyse one's every move which is the case with needlepainting.  At left is the photo of Frank Cooper's work, worked in wool.  Below is where I am with mine.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment