Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Poppies- progress

In listening to the news last night, while I was continuing my work on this piece, I realized that the poppies as a theme has returned at the same time that the conversation around the earthquake in Haïti of January 2010 has returned.


This has been purely coincidental but it did beg the question whether on some subliminal level, I have held on to the idea of remembering or more specifically, of  'not forgetting' the impact of those tragic events  so that the efforts to rebuild, to help, may continue.


I had been embroidering my first 'poppy' subject in January 2010 as the devastation of the earthquake was being felt.   Now I take up a new project, same theme, different interpretation, same time of the year and it is imbibed with all the same desires for hope, and that this country may reclaim a certain normalcy in its daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment