Monday, March 21, 2011

Silk work - progress report


Here is the colour palette for the silk piece I am working on. I spent the morning on the patio, despite the wind, working. It is a welcome overcast day today, so it was easier to work without my hands becoming a little hot.

As you can see I made progress and finished the blue flower. Some of the petals are so small, it was hard to give a sense to each of the shapes. But I am happy with the overall effect. I had wanted to use a little more of the pale blue, and had tried a few petals using two or even three hues of the blues shown here. In the end, after several attempts, I simplified and used only two hues in the larger petals and one hue in the smaller ones.


I was reminded as I worked how surgical I have to be when placing each stitch. There is no room for error with the Pipers and I have t
o be very precise in the way I analyse both the start and finish of each stitch as well as the movement inside the form. A close up will show that each petal has a central vein and hopefully a slightly rounded movement upwards, downwards or sideways. I plan to use one thread of the darker brown thread to interpret the stems which will give a very delicate illusion to the whole. Once this corner motif is complete, I plan to work the central flower which will introduce the glorious pinks into the project as well as an increased degree of difficulty.
Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment