Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Pimpernel Cushion

We are travelling right now so I am more focused on an easier project i.e. another cross stitch. After finishing the 'Orange Frieze', I had already set aside another Beth Russell design with the same colourway, roughly, so I decided to take this project with me on the trip.

We are in Arizona.. beautiful sunny days. We have a stunning garden at the house where we are staying so the mornings are devoted to an early breakfast on the patio, coffee and a long couple of hours of stitching and reading. I have just finished the book by Alexandre Jardin entitled 'Des Gens Très Bien'.


I took this photo of the pattern 'The Pimpernel Footstool', outside on the patio in the sunshine so the resolution is not brilliant but you can get the gist. When I chose the threads, guided by the suggestions of the designer, I wasn't convinced that the col
ours would suit my taste and now that I have worked much of the dark green, I am still not sure. However, experience has told me that I shouldn't judge the overall effect until I have put in the complete palette of colours because one colour influences the effect of the other colours. The eye blends the whole so that what might appear too dark or too pale when alone is balanced by the adjacent hues and nuances. I plan to take photographs as I progress and you'll see the changes as the other colours are stitched in. I also have a lot of respect for the design skill and colour analysis of Ms. Russell, so I am confident I will like the final effect.




No comments:

Post a Comment