Friday, May 13, 2011

Asian flower place setting

The gift for my friend is complete - I have already spoken about the idea that I had. Here is the concept set up on our dining table which is not as wide as the table to which the linens are destined. I am happy with the result but anxious to see how it works in the setting of my friend's new home, which is very contemporary and recently has been decorated with some African art. This recent addition of masks and life size human sculptures seem contradictory to the other art that is on the walls. I had chosen my work considering a beautiful painted piece by a Quebec artist which evokes feminity, softness, poetry and generosity. This large painting entitled 'Flore' covers the only large free wall space close to the dining area. This is the reason why I chose the pinks and whites in my embroidery design.

Which then opens up the discussion of what criteria one uses for choosing and, in this instance, designing a gift for a friend. I applied my own aesthetic criteria of what I consider would work well in her current décor and the pleasure I would have in making such a gift. I probably will never truly know how much it was appreciated and I hope for the best. The most important element is that I made these table linens with much affection for a person who is immensely interesting, who listens well, who is generous of heart and who I think will receive the gift with sensitivity and understand the thoughtfulness with which it was created and given. It is of no importance if they never see the light of day. The key moment is when I give the gift and the sensation I derive from seeing and feeling what I anticipate will be her surprise and pleasure and understanding that this gift encompasses more than just a physical thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment