Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Autumn leaves

It's not that I want to rush through Spring and then Summer, but I have just mounted this small piece on acrylique ready for a frame. I had hesitated in doing anything with this embroidery because the red dyes ran slightly during the cleaning process and I felt it was not worthy of any further investment of time and money. But as is often the case, when I leave a piece on my work table, it takes on another significance. I see it more objectively.

I remember when I finished it, a client had just arrived in the studio. She reacted spontaneously to the piece. When I pointed out the bleeding, she was adamant that if at any time I decided to not do anything with the work, she would like it. She is the daughter of a renowned Quebec artist and I trust her eye.

Maybe my objectivity and resulting pleasure today in looking at this piece is similar to that which C. exhibited that day so long ago. Somehow the very slight mark of bleeding around one or two of the leaves seemed less important. Time has worked its magic if only in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment