Monday, December 19, 2011

Phoenix - a study - finished

It's not a perfect photo but I am anxious to post the fact that I have finished this design.  The hardest part was the beak, done and redone more than a few times.  I opted finally for the very simplest lines to give a suggestion of rather than try to embroider something realistic.


I am happy with the colours and the electric frenzy of the feathers.   What a relief to find that none of the colours bled in the cleaning process so that the precision of all the lines was maintained.


The matting board shown here will not be the final.  I just wanted to give a frame to the piece and show it a little off-centre in its context.  I shall likely mount the phoenix with a gold frame, multiple mattings and the addition of a gold wooden detail on the inner side of the window, very similar to my other framings (check out the butterfly series on my website:  www.artaiguille.com)


Sum total of time invested was close to 100 hours.  I let the work lead me.  I enjoyed every minute.  I had set the deadline for 'before Christmas' which made me focus each day and work diligently.  I had so much fun I may start this design again.  Already I see something in reds, graphite grey and black.  And already I am excited by the prospect.  Better get the gift wrapping done today just in case I can't help myself and start working on this new colour adventure.  


For those that read me, happy holidays and all the best for 2012.  And thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment