Thursday, December 8, 2011

Phoenix - a study (4)

Christmas plans have slowed down progress on the Phoenix, but in the last few days, I have been able to get back to it.  I've also had some technical difficulties, particularly around the breast area of the design and have tried and failed several times to capture the effect I have in my head.


I tried using a needlepainting technique to start with, playing with several hues of the blue and blue-greens; then, not satisfied since it didn't render the idea of feathers in the way I wanted, I thought by adding some highlights of gold thread, this may lighten the effect.  Quite the opposite occurred.  So I took the whole thing out and redrew the lines, giving the effect of scales... this seemed intuitively to be the best and now I sit back and view it, a day later, I shall stay with this final choice.


The eye was going to be tough.  Eyes are difficult.  You really can't embroider an eye, particularly one as small as this. I feel more that you have to give a suggestion of an eye.  Just three very fine lines and a tiny dot gave the effect I was looking for.  I remind myself I am not looking for realism here.  The whole idea about this subject is that it doesn't really exist in real life, so I can interpret the lines any way I want.  What freedom!


Today, I shall complete the legs and claws. I anticipate more challenges on the way.  I started the first leg late last night and as I view it this morning, I think I am on the right track.  It's always a question of balance, so I have to imagine the whole subject embroidered to judge whether the choice of technique, colour and depth are appropriate.  Since the legs are just a detail, I certainly don't want them to be the focus the moment the eye falls on the completed piece.  Thus, the choice of colour is important, but I do want texture, creating that pickled effect that birds have on their spindly legs, so I have to consider the detail of another thread on top of the background thread.  By the end of the day, I should have a good idea as to whether my first attempt has worked.


As a reader, you can judge too.  Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment