Saturday, November 26, 2011

Phoenix - a study (3)

The play of blues is really rich.  I needed to see what the yellows and golds would do to the overall effect so I did some of the outer feathers.  I'm not sure if I've chosen too deep a yellow and I also wonder about the gold, but I'll leave it in the fabric until I have worked more colour into the body of the bird.  The balance created by working the body with more blues and turquoises will allow me to judge the appropriateness of the choice of yellows.  


I have no colour reference as I work, so my eye is the guide.  I like to execute a project intuitively.  I don't have the same challenges as a painter of realism.  I can take my interpretation in any direction, particularly with this subject which by the mere fact that it is a mythical bird is open to an infinite number  of renderings.


I had put a roll of red silk thread in the colour palette that I chose at the start and I am tempted at every change of thread to introduce this bright contrasting colour, but my original vision was to stay with the blues and golds, a royal combination.  I am trying to discipline myself to stay with this first thought.  I want to keep the vision sober;


... but at the end I may put in a little element of surprise.



No comments:

Post a Comment