Saturday, June 18, 2011

Redouté's 'Blush Rose'

I made reference a few days ago of a project I was beginning and hoped to finish to give as a gift to a close friend who celebrates a significant birthday this month. Here is the drawing, adapted from an engraving by Pierre-Joseph Redouté (1759-1840).

What was my process in choosing this subject? I wanted to do something very personal. C. is my closest friend and one who shows deep generosity with her time and thoughts. She has always shown great interest and sensitivity to my work and has followed my evolution as I have hers over the 15 years we have known each other.

I have a collection of Redouté's roses in a small book in my library and for many years have thought they would be excellent inspiration for a piece. The Rose is the flower for June. The 'Blush Rose' seemed to capture the density that I wanted to have in the piece. The flowers will be predominantly white with just a hint of pink and I am excited to see the effect of translating the leaves in two colours, of green and blue-green. The latter colour is intended to add a little surprise to the interpretation.

I haven't worked with the Pearsall Silks for a while so I plan to use this lovely twisted silk and play with the possibility of splitting the thread in two and using the finer thread for the smaller forms and details.

Although the original engraving provides me with an idea of perspective, shadow and movement, once I have begun the piece, I tend to work intuitively and follow my heart. Of course, there are no guarantees that what I see in my mind's eye translates on to the fabric, but as with most projects, I make adjustments along the way and I hope at the end of the effort, what appears has some merit.





No comments:

Post a Comment