Sunday, June 26, 2011

Blush Rose - progress 2

I've done a lot of stopping and starting on this project, but I am happy with the progress... challenges have come in the use of the thread.  I thought I would be able to split the thread successfully and have a flat silk effect as a result, but the Pearsall's becomes very fragile when split in two and as a result leaves a fuzzy effect on the linen.  

The bud to the left at the top was executed originally with a split thread and I undid it this afternoon.  It did not have the light that I was looking for.  Also, the stamens have offered up opportunities for experimenting with different threads, techniques and materials.   I started with a split Pearsall's, then Pipers 90 floss which I have stayed with, but rather than using a double sand stitch, I think I have opted for a pistil stitch.  I even tried with tiny seed pearls in gold, white and pale green, but this idea did not provide the refinement I was looking for.

Today, I began the leaves.  Tonight, I plan to finish one at least.  I'm anxious to see the effect that my choice of technique will give me.  But the flowers, now finished but for the stamens,  have great density and lend themselves to almost a three-dimensional look.  Such is the lusciousness of the Pearsall's silks and the play of colours.  The red bud in the centre provides a pleasing colour contrast.

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment