Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Pimpernel Cushion - progress/food for thought

This is the other project currently on my work table; actually I work this in the early morning with my breakfast coffee in front of the fire usually having a discussion with my husband about the books we are reading - I am currently reading 'The Hare with Amber Eyes' by Edmund de Waal. It is a memoir not of people although ultimately I will know a lot about his family and its history, but of a collection of Japanese netsuke, how his ancestor acquired the collection and what was the itinerary of these tiny handmade pieces from the middle of the 19th century Paris to present day London.

There are frequent references to embroidery and what these decorated textiles add to the beauty of a décor. De Waal has a keen eye. He is a ceramic artist, creating hundreds if not thousands of beautifully linear pots whose simplicity are the most perfect examples of beauty. It is this simplicity that appeals to me with its clean unfettered lines and the odd piece of poetry ex: as one small impression is made asymmetrically in the upper edge of the piece. (www.edmunddewaal.com
). His writing has a similar style with beautiful images and clean succinct lines.

Reading this book has provoked many a discussion and there will no doubt be more to come, but one discussion we got into was how much the story behind the 'art' counts for in the spectator's appreciation of the piece. For example, when you go to a museum, how often do you rent the audio component? Does it enhance the experience or does it drive what would be a free subjective thought process into an imposed framework?

Write me and give me your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment