Saturday, July 23, 2011

Asian Violets

This drawing is an adaptation of a water color by Angus Côté, an artist from North Hatley, Québec.  I'm not sure what the title of this piece was but its simplicity has stayed with me since seeing it and I have felt it could be interpreted with silks.

It is also the last stages of the 'Tour de France'.  It is very hot in the forest, so we have been confined to the basement with the fan blowing and keeping a keen eye on television watching the Schleck brothers, Cadel Evans and Thomas Voeckler.  Whatever the result, the Tour de France is a feat of inhuman qualities.  

I needed something that would not tax me technically where I could enjoy the threads and the colour.  Pearsall Silks, 3 hues of Delpht blue, 3 hues of moss greens and a little point of yellow... I shall enjoy this project while I follow the adventure of the road the cyclists devour.

From our comfortable seats, I venture 'To finish is to win'.  For these amazing athletes, this is not sufficient and for this reason all deserve respect and wonder.  Having said that, I am sad that Andy Schleck will not come in first.  Somehow he garnered my support more than Cadell Evans in these last days, but I am mostly sad for the remarkable performance of Thomas Voeckler whose place on the podium, despite a magnificent tour, is still not certain. And who can forget the wide smile of Mark Cavendish who can sit back proud of his winning of 4 stages during this 21 day marathon.

Back to my needle.

No comments:

Post a Comment